The club will be holding a first aid course during Hilary term 2018, and you can sign up using the form below. This course is ideal if you want to become a level 1 leader for the club, and as such will be subsidised provided you are a member of the club. More information about leading for the club can be found here. An outline of the course contents follows below. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries, about the course or more general stuff, or would simply like more information.
– Content: the course will equip you for handling the most common hillwalking injuries in the UK context, which means less than a day away from help, and in most cases, probably 4 to 8 hours from help. The syllabus is the Emergency First Aid course by Rescue Emergency Care (REC).
– Approach: the training is mostly through hands-on exercises, some of which will be done outside in the University Parks. This is complemented by discussion, background on how the body works and useful guidelines and approaches to situations.
– Trainer: the course will be run for us by George Fell, a freelance outdoor first aid trainer, Oxford alumnus, paddler and climber. George has run 6 courses for the club, always with very good feedback from club members.
– Certificate: you will receive a “REC Emergency First Aid” certificate, certified by Rescue Emergency Care (REC). This will be valid for 3 years.
– Club requirements: this course is the first step to being approved to lead on OUWC trips, if this interests you – always very welcomed by the club!
– NGB requirements: the course meets the National Governing Body requirements for most UK outdoor sports, including Mountain Training UK and BCU, for those who have or are interested in outdoor leadership qualifications.
|Date:||Saturday 20 January and Sunday 21 January|
|Time:||8:45am – 5pm on Saturday, 8:45am – 5:30pm on Sunday|
|Venue:||Martin Wood Building, Department of Physics|
|Cost:||£30, membership required|
Local walks are run every weekend during term. They are open to anyone; no signup or membership is required, just turn up at the meeting point on the day.
- Malvern Hills (Freshers’ Walk), Sunday 8th October (end of 0th week)
- Chilterns and Chequers, Saturday 14th October (end 1st week)
- Cookham to Maidenhead, Saturday 21st October (end 2nd week)
- Laurie Lee Way (Cotswolds), Saturday 28th October (end 3rd week)
- Dawdle to Dorchester, Saturday 4th November (end 4th week)
- Boar’s Hill, Saturday 11th November (end 5th week)
- Mr Toad & Mr Poirot, Saturday 18th November (end of 6th week)
- Shakespeare’s Country, Saturday 25th November (end of 7th week)
- Kingham Circular, Sunday 3rd December (end of 8th week)
Happy Christmas from everyone at OUWC. We will be back in the new year with plenty of walks as usual, so check back then. We will be running a first aid course on the 20/21st Jan, which you can sign up for below, or by going to ‘Other events’ in the menu above. See you all soon!